Thursday, November 22, 2007

What time is it? Time to act

Of course it's been time to act for decades, but if you haven't yet, why not start today? That's what I'm doing.

This blog will chart my own learning curve about the things my or any business can do to reduce energy use, reuse, prevent waste -- measure progress, and get others to hop on the anti-global warming bandwagon, both within your company and in your community.

I have questions and huge areas where my knowledge is limited (construction techniques, zoning and permitting regulations, electrical wiring, and well, much much more), but with the Web at our fingertips (yes, we'll look at greening computing, too), I'm hoping we can both learn and make progress.

My first question, in stream-of-consciousness order only: what can we do about the banks of long-tube "sprawling" (opposite of compact?) fluorescent lights that blanket so many office buildings? But first, I think, is to assess your actual energy consumption, CO2 emissions, waste and so on. Open Eco, a joint project of Sun Microsystems and Natural Logic, is a good place to start. (See link at right.) I'll be back soon!

No comments: